Health & Safety
Comvals Health & Safety vision is to provide a safe and secure work environment promoting a positive culture by continuously improving the Health, Safety and Well-being of our people and the communities we serve.
We work together to drive strategy, new initiatives, continual improvements and adapt/respond accordingly to any risks to the business. This platform enables the businesses to share best practice and is extremely useful in improving and adapting our communications and workforce engagement to ensure that health and safety is the core of everything that we do.
We are committed to continual improvement and do everything we can to ensure that any persons that may be impacted by our works are kept safe, both during our operations and into the future. We maintain a robust a Health and Safety management system.
When it comes to looking after our own people, we have a programme in place that provides all employees with high quality safety training tailored to our business workstreams. We also enable employees to undertake core training when on the move, covering Health and Safety essentials such as Manual Handling, Working at Heights and Asbestos Awareness.
We believe the ongoing health and well-being of our people is as important as their on-site safety, and we are continually developing and delivering initiatives to support this. These safety initiatives allow us to be inclusive and enable consultation and participation with our people. Every year we look for new ways to improve our health and safety performance across the Group and this includes reward and incentive schemes, awareness programmes and enhancing near-hit reporting.
Comval is committed to ensuring full compliance with all current versions of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA), the Health and Safety at Work Regulations, Codes of Practices, and any other relevant Standards, Guidelines or Legislation.
To meet this commitment, Comval will provide healthy and safe working conditions for all staff, contractors, visitors and members of the public at this or any other company‐controlled site.
This is to be achieved through commitments to:
- Consultation between management, employees, elected health and safety representatives, and staff members in health and safety management and practices in the workplace.
- Determining the scope of the OH&S management system, assessing boundaries and applicability; considering external and internal issues, requirements and work‐related activities performed.
- Conducting health and safety workplace and/or toolbox meetings at least quarterly. These meetings will include management and elected staff representatives, to present and review any issues. (In the case of a notifiable event see Incidents section cover page).
- Annual reviews of management performance against health and safety responsibilities.
- Providing the appropriate training for senior management and staff in health and safety awareness, understanding, management and responsibilities.
- Taking all practicable steps to eliminate or minimise workplace risks and to provide all personal protective equipment for staff to wear, where applicable.
- Providing a safe working environment for all staff and any others that may encounter Comval or their activities.
- An annual self‐assessment of our Health and Safety System, with management and safety representatives setting objectives, plans and performance measures with targets, so that we can make continuous improvements to our system.
- Ensuring all staff are committed to health and safety and are aware of their responsibility to provide a safe work environment for themselves and each other.
- Accurately reporting and recording of all workplace incidents and near misses and identifying appropriate follow‐up to avoid reoccurrence.
- Supporting and promoting a safe and early return to work of any injured staff, where possible, through prompt treatment and active rehabilitation.
- Appointing a senior manager with specific responsibility to coordinate health and safety in the workplace.
- Provision of resources to accomplish these goals.